Are You Behind on Your Mortgage?
Homeowners can experience financial trouble for a variety of reasons, such as job loss, health problems, hospital bills or divorce. If you’re behind on your mortgage for any reason, hiding from the problem is the worst thing you can do.
Here are some practical steps you can take right now to reduce the likelihood of foreclosure and protect your credit rating for the future:
- Stay in contact with your lender or lenders at all times. Don’t wait for them to call you. Call or visit your lender now to explain your situation and discuss alternatives.
- Review all of your expenses and eliminate or reduce what you can so you can get current on your mortgage payment. This includes everything you spend money on, from food and transportation to phone service, cable TV and entertainment. Don’t leave a single expense off your list.
- Speak with your other billing companies, such as utilities and credit card issuers, to let them know about your situation. Emphasize that you are taking active steps to correct the problem. Discuss temporary alternatives for overdue bills.
- Free up some money by supplementing your food budget with groceries from a local pantry.
- Ask to speak with your lender’s “Loss Mitigation Department” to see what options they may have to help you get back on track with your mortgage payments.
- If you live in Kent County, Michigan, schedule an appointment with a Home Repair Services Financial Counselor.
- If you live in a county bordering Kent County, complete the Foreclosure Intake Pack and fax it to us at (616) 241-5151. One of our financial counselors will contact you to schedule an appointment.